10/01/2012

It's Time Again...

Today is a day that gives me a little of the queasy-tummy, make-me-nervous, I-just-might-hold-my breath-until-I-pass-out sort of feeling.

October 1st…the start of RSV season.

Their first actual winter we left the house to go to a doctor and that was it. That didn’t seem so terrible since Payton cam home in the middle of winter and Parker came home towards the end. And all I’d wanted for months was to be at home with them so it was really no big deal. We spent the past two years spending time at home during the winter. They went to respite care while I worked. They went to the doctor. That’s pretty much it. It was recommended by doctors. I asked other preemie moms for advice. I wouldn’t change being on lock down for the world. It’s what their little bodies with bad lungs, damaged from prematurity, ventilators, illness and bad immunity needed.

Last winter I was scared. The year before, while getting Synagis, Payton ended up in isolation in the hospital for a week and had pneumonia 6 times, along with other illnesses during the year. So the thought of having to go through that again…sheer terror.

Last winter was slightly better. A few ER trips and our only hospital stay was for one night observation. Slightly better but still makes me want to ask the ER nurse every time if they pass out Xanax to the parents.
So today it begins. The season that is already showing some signs it might be a bit of a rough one. I don’t think it’s really possible to keep two (soon to be) 3 year olds on lockdown. We can be careful and limit things to an extent, but full on winter lockdown seems a bit unrealistic at this point.

So into another season. We’re taking a deep breath, the sanitizer bottles are out and stocked and away we go. The allergies that are in full bloom have given me a quick re-sharpening of my micro-preemie mom senses.

Game on RSV. We got this.

No comments:

Post a Comment