10/10/2012

The 3 year old run down

That's right...they're 3!!! People have been asking if I can believe it. Somehow it's all gone by in a blur, and at the same time every gray hair, moment of exhaustion and day with circles under my eyes is proof I've scrambled my way through every single day. There's been a few appointments the past few weeks so let me get out the latest.

Payton - the little diva is doing just fine. Things have been pretty quiet from her since she had her surgery in July. She's doing much better and the sleep apnea she was having is gone since surgery...yay!!! She's been battling a few allergies and colds but otherwise she's doing fine. I'm a little nervous headed into RSV and flu season with her. We'll be chatting more about that when we see pulmonology next month when we follow up with them. At our 3 year checkup today and she's doing just fine. When the resident that was following Dr. Woodford around came into our room today he said "these are my miracle babies, Payton and Parker". I love that he cares about them so much. She is 29 pounds today (with clothes) and 35.5 inches. That puts her at 15% for height and 31% for weight for average 3 year olds. Her development is going just fine and all her other numbers look good. We love Dr. Woodford, but I'm hoping Payton won't see him until next year when they turn 4.

Parker - the dude! It's been an intense couple weeks with the man. The results of his latest scope were good. The medicines he's on are helping the EOE. We will follow-up with the allergist in December and are taking his oral Pulmicort once a day instead of twice.

We had our appointment with the developmental pediatrician at Children's. It took 6 months to get the appointment and I was not as excited in the end as I'd hoped. We were lucky that our Occupational Therapist for Early Intervention came with us to be another set of ears and ask questions. I didn't feel as if the doctor completely understood what I was always saying. Not that I was looking for her to say "he's autistic/has ADHD/has....". But I wanted a little more than what I got. Despite it all she did diagnose him with disruptive behavior disorder and sensory integration dysfunction. We've been referred on for more OT for sensory issues, and have a behavioral person helping brain storm ways to help Parker deal with situations that cause him to completely meltdown. He was also put on another medicine, clonidine, for being a horribly restless sleeper. I guess more to come on all this as we sort things out and move on with some new things.

Today he had his 3 year old checkup too. We talked about his news from the scope and the new recommendations for sensory OT. Dr. Woodford is also recommending return to OT and speech therapy to work on drinking since that's a particularly horrible area for him. Parker's development is just slightly behind but there's nothing to be overly concerned with right now. We'll just be keeping an eye on it. We drew blood to test for allergies. Despite having me pay on his lower half and two nurses, he wiggles enough during it they could only get a half vial and he blew a vein. Not good buddy. Since we were there 6 weeks ago when he was sick, Parker has lost 2 pounds, putting him down to just 23 (with clothes). That's alot of weight when you're that little. That puts him at just .07% for weight while he's at 35 inches and 4% for height. All his other numbers seem to be fine. Because of the weight loss we quite possibly may soon be seeing the feeding and growth clinic at children's to add to our list too.

And so in the past week I've gained a few more of those gray hairs. Now you know why when you see me.

Onward and upward...with a very large cup of something caffeinated for mom.


No comments:

Post a Comment