1/06/2013

Parker New Years Update

I had taken New Years Eve off work to do fun stuff going on around town with the dynamic duo.After an appointment with the ENT 6 weeks ago, I found out this wasn't going to happen. Parker needed to have another procedure. Not only did I know this wasn't going to happen ahead of time...I had no idea how crazy the day would be.

Payton woke up at 2am that morning and refused to go back to sleep. She was sick and nailed herself, me, my hair, blankets, pillow, etc. One moment caused a huge mess. After getting her cleaned up, I had to take a shower at 2:30 am. The fridge broke around 4am with the water line for it spraying water on the kitchen counter and floor. Both kids were up at 4:30 am wanting to watch Chuggington. I had to stall Payton's requests for cereal because Parker wasn't allowed to have anything. When Parker and I went out to the car to head to the hospital, I discovered my car had been egged along with several others that were parked on the street. And the cup of coffee the hospital brought me upon arrival tasted like it had been sitting for 2 days.

Parker and I checked into Boys Town at 5:30 am so that he could have semi-permanent tubes placed in both ears. His others had fallen out and he was already having  problems and losing hearing. The ENT has also been watching several cysts in his airway behind his vocal chords for a while. They're from being on a ventilator for so long. He's been having some issues with his reactive airway so the doctor decided it was time for them to come out - by laser.


 Surgery went fine. Because of what they were doing with the airway and his normal self, he was put under pretty deep anesthesia. HE was in recovery quite a while before coming back to the room. Once the haze cleared a little we sat on the bed and played with balls and cars, the nurses brought him popsicles and Dr. Lusk let him look at pictures of planes on one of his several trips in the room to check on us. With a promise that I would call or go to the ER on the very off chance something weird happened above what I could manage at home, we got our discharge orders and were able to go home. I grabbed myself a special load of caffeine on the way home which didn't make much difference since I'd been up since 2am.

 A quiet night at home, take out to celebrate New Years and my birthday and everyone here was out pretty early. I settled into the recliner with some champagne, a piece of my lemon cake and one of my Christmas gifts.

Parker is doing just fine. He's been a little rough in the throat  this past week post-op but nothing major and is sounding better. We check in next week with the doctor and then will just be every few months after that to monitor things. It's been 3 procedures in 9 months, and 4 in just over a year, for the little man. Praying for a new year with fewer procedures and more good coffee.


No comments:

Post a Comment