4/21/2011

Labeling

While the kiddos have their own bumps in the road, mom has found her own - labeling. We've had a couple of our 18 month appointments, and a few phone calls for the business end of things for the babies and most of those have focused on answering questions about what they can and can't do. For the lists that we're given, they mostly can't. That's frustrating. They do all of these great things they really have no business doing, all things considered.

To look at them, they look healthy. I've been told by more than one person that they are cute (and I'm not just making that up because I'm the mom). But there are real concerns - language, overall delays, head growth, eating, sleeping, developmental. No one can see that when they look at them. Because the machines are gone (except the feeding tube) and we don't have a label on us like "cerebal palsy", then there is an overall assumption that everything is fine. It is, and its not.

So as I work to fight for more for them for their hurdles, and work to get over my own, I'm also going to try to keep focusing more on what they can do, and not what they can't.

No comments:

Post a Comment